La Soufriere Drive In Volcano














Maybe it's my love of drama but I love volcanoes. It's no coincidence that most of my favorite places sport a lava-spewing peak or two. After the Pitons, La Soufriere drive-in volcano tops the list as St. Lucia’s most recognizable landmark. It’s also the smelliest, with the strong, rotten-egg scent of sulfur wafting over the area for miles. An active volcano with bubbling gases and seething sulfur pools, La Soufriere allows visitors to drive up to a few 100 feet of the crater and then walk through a fault in the substratum rock on a guided tour. It’s a fascinating display, especially Gabriel’s Hole, the place in a steaming fissure where a tour guide sunk into the boiling mud in 1985. He survived with second degree burns but now all of the vents are fenced off. One of the essential activities at La Soufriere is a dip in the gurgling hot sulfur baths. The warm, muddy sulfur deposits are reputed to help arthritis, eczema and instantly soothe mosquito bites. After days lolling around in the Lucian sun,nothing's more refreshing. You can bring a bathing suit, (the sulfur smell is difficult to remove from clothes) or just wade in.

Comments

You're not the only one fascinated by these freaks of nature (broadly speaking). There's breathtaking beauty in a storm and big waves bring out the inner child in me. Your photos are amazing. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

PS: Your word verification is 'trypa', that would be Spanish 'tripa' misspelled :-). have a brilliant week.
kristine said…
i am quite fascinated by volcanoes too - its like being on the moon, isn't it? Am hoping to make a trip to Iceland later this year for some moonscapes.....although I agree with you on the smell - impossible to get rid of!!
Wow, sounds incredible.
Huge sucker for volcanoes, I'm sure you can tell by my site. I love them. Even though all of central america seems to be one big volcano chain, I love to see the lava flowing and the smoke coming out of them. And even better to soak in their naturally heated pools!
Jean-Luc Picard said…
Volcanoes definately have power that we can feel.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, I'm not surprised you love freaks of nature too!

Kristine, Iceland and volcanoes? I never knew!

Rachel, thanks for dropping by!

Marina, heated pools are the best things ever!
Owen said…
Hi Fly ! Thanks for dropping in today to visit my place... always happy to see new visitors !

In Guadeloupe the active volcano is also named "La Soufrière", but you can't drive too close to the top... you leave the car at a parking lot and hike the last several steep uphill miles. But it is worth the climb, if not covered in clouds and rain... it is one of the rainiest places on the planet.
Best, Owen
Catherine said…
great pix... and yes I am also a fan of volcanoes with plenty to keep me busy here...hope your trip to Cancun and cozumel goes well and that you do indeed find some authenticity there...
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, I know you know all about special power!

Owen, thanks for dropping by. I believe Dominica has a La Soufriere ass well.

Catherine, I glad Mexico has enough volcanoes to keep you busy! I will be searching for as much authenticity as I can find when I come!
Anonymous said…
I love when you share all of your amazing adventures. I heard sulfur was very good for the skin and hair. Now hot lava...not so much..wink
Sounds like Gabriel was a lucky man! I remember walking through a crater with active vents in Hawaii years ago and hoping that nothing new would pop open under my feet.
Wendy said…
It seems that lands with volcanoes always have the most beautiful landscapes.
Fly Girl said…
Yvonne, lava is good for the skin!

Heather, Gabriel is very lucky that he's alive to tell his legend. I like volcanos but not enough to walk around open vents!

Wenday, I never thought about that but you're right! That's a connection that is really interesting.
Anonymous said…
Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons