Wall Visage in Valladolid


Valladolid is a colorful town in the eastern corner of the Yucatan Peninsula, noted for its charming colonial buildings and traditional Mayan culture. Called the "Sultan of The East" because of it's striking architectural beauty, I was immediately captivated. We stepped into La Casona, a hacienda style restaurant with flavorful Yucatan dishes (I'll cover those in the next post) and an art collection just as rich.


Tucked into this little street awash with candy-colored structures, La Casona greeted me with a wealth of art every where I turned.


The owners enjoy  collecting masks from all over the world so every wall of the sprawling restaurant was covered with masks, some Mexican, some from other cultures.


I noticed a pattern with how the masks were grouped. The pieces above seemed to boast horns and devilish expressions.




And these featured facial hair in various forms. I thought some of these were slightly spooky and was glad I didn't face them during my meal.


On the other hand, I felt like I could live in this stunning fountain adorned with painted tiles and lovely landscaping. La Casona is a restaurant and an art gallery rolled into one. Have you seen any interesting art on your travels?

Comments

Catherine said…
What a beautiful place - I have been to many museums in Mexico that have wonderful collections of masks like that - and in restaurants too...
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, the place was beautiful and so was the food!
I had to do a double take when I saw your first photo because I thought for a moment you were in Spain. But no, they have a Valladolid in Mexico, too. And a what a beautiful place it is! Many thanks.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, the town was founded by Spanish conquistadors so of course they used names from home!
katie said…
Fly Girl this is so pretty, but I'm glad I wouldn't have had to face the masks. ;)

I've been to several of Honolulu's museums, but what struck me most is the art on the street in Waikiki. A couple would often make me various creations out of bamboo. I thought that was neat.
Fly Girl said…
Katie, bamboo art is cool. I think I like when art is on the streets best of all.
Wow the masks here are so cool.. I must say it is a pretty colorful place .. thanks for the info fly gal.
Fly Girl said…
Chateaux, thanks for dropping by. I will visit your site soon.
The town looks so beautifully kept from that that photo of the street, and I find the mask collection quite intriguing. Art and craft abounds here in Santiago, as there are just so many markets, galleries and special exhibitions.
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, it really is a charming town, the art just underscores that.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons