The World's Smallest Police Station



I've seen a lot of strange sights during my travels and the phone booth/police station that I visited on my recent trip to St. George Island, Florida, counts as one of them. Clearly, the little town of Carrabelle right outside of St. George, which consists of a few streets and this police station, does not experience much crime. Before the phone booth, the police phone was a simple call box bolted to a building. That call box served as the police headquarters until they were plagued by tourists making unauthorized long distance calls.



So in 1963, they erected a phone booth under a chinaberry tree. This booth and bench currently provides the local police with all they need to regulate crime. I am not making this up. The phone booth has been featured in Ripley's Believe It Or Not and the Today Show. I squeezed into the booth and it is a tight fit. I don't think Carabelle police eat many doughnuts or other stereotypically fatty foods popular with the police. Stay tuned for other fascinating sights from my St. George trip.


Comments

Micki said…
Oh gosh, I love this, definitely one if the quirkiest things I've seen in a while :)
Fly Girl said…
Micki, quirky is definitely what it is. It's hard to believe that this is actually a police dept for this small town. Thanks for dropping by.
Alex Smith said…
What kind of sorcery is this! I would never have thought there would be such a thing. I'll take a look at this police phone booth when I get a chance to travel back to Florida.
Fly Girl said…
Alex, I don't think anybody could have conjured this up. St. George island is a tiny island an hour from Tallahassee, check it out! Thanks for stopping by.
Hmm! So... where do the police officers hang out until they are called? I'm curious now!

- Maria Alexandra
Fly Girl said…
Nomad,
I don't think they hang out. I think they go about there daily lives until they are called once in a blue moon. Either that or they hang on the bench but I saw no sign of them while I was there. Thanks for dropping by.
Indrani said…
That is something ver unique!
Fly Girl said…
Indrani,
Yes it is, I've never seen anything like it!
Hmmm... now, where did I leave my crowbar? :-)

You really go there to get the story. Many thanks for this post. I would have never thought that you could have a police station on a bench with a phone booth next to it. Lovely. This is our world and it's made up of so many strange but funny things.

Greetings from London.
Catherine said…
are you sure it doesn't open up into a Dr Who tardis with oodles of room inside for the Florida Flying Squad?? lovely story nice to know you can still find corners of charm and quaintness around and about....Greetings from Nice...
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, a police station on a bench and a phonebooth has never occurred to me but travel really exposes you to things you've never thought or heard of.

Catherine, you know, you may be right. THis could totally be camouflage for Dr. Who type intrigue.
Angela said…
Wow, if this is all local police needs, it must be an oasis of peace. Sure you don't find many police stations with such a cute bench ;)
Fly Girl said…
Angela, the town is so small, that I think that they don't need the phone, they just go directly to the culprit's house!
Thomas S. Moore said…
Looks more like a booth for superman to change in verses a actual station. This is some classic stuff I wonder where they would put the person who was arrested. I see you are still at it FlyGirl its been awhile since I stopped by.
Fly Girl said…
Hey Thomas! Good to hear from you again. I think the person arrested goes on the bench. Don't think they actually have a jail. I'll always be at traveling and writing on some level.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons