Live Flamenco in an Andalusian Garden




The breadth of the beauty and the richness of the culture that I experienced in Andalusia is overwhelming. I took 732 photos on my DSLR, 200 on my point and shoot camera and 100 on my phone. It was hard to decide what to share first so I thought about the essence of Spanish culture. I observed a great respect and value for family, food and music. So I decided on one of my most memorable experiences, listening to live flamenco in the garden patio of Alcadima Hotel, in Lanjaron. It's a family run hotel that sits surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains, in the Alpujarra region. We were treated to a nine course dinner prepared by the owner himself and served by his son.The lush gardens that encircled the patio are tended by his grandmother. He invited a local flamenco guitarist who was accompanied by his mother, who danced the stomping rhythms along with his playing. If you can imagine the heady sensations of a striking landscape, rich food, warm hospitality and hypnotic music all at once, then that was what Andalusia was like. Please watch my video and you can get a glimpse of this trans formative experience.

Comments

Andrew said…
That little taste of flamenco is so exciting, Rosalind. Looking forward to more on this trip.
gandt said…
This is wonderful. I have a house near Granada at the base of the Sierra Nevada and am very keen to see the rest of this report
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, thanks so much. There's loads more to come!

Gandt,that's so exciting! The region is incredible. I'll have lots more posts about my experiences. Thanks for dropping by.
What can I say? You know what my comment will be. Flamenco, wow. One thing, though. As I have found out to my cost not ALL Spaniards agree to flamenco being the "essence" of Spanish culture. Go to the north (west), Galicia and you will be given short shrift for it, north (east), Basque country and they have their own very idiosyncratic culture. Barcelona is a world of its own. Still, I love flamenco. Like Gandt, I have stayed in the Sierra Nevada, in the Alpujarra mountains and the scenery is breath-taking.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, Oh I know all about the perspectives and classifications of flamenco in Spanish culture. I dipped into it a little bit when I was there but you know there are other racial and cultural issues that also factor in. I will be doing another post on flamenco dance where I'll venture a little into the cultural significance, which I'm sure you'll appreciate.
TexWisGirl said…
how awesome for you!
Fly Girl said…
Tex, it was awesome indeed.
Indeed, there are racial and cultures elements of which one has to be careful. I am already looking forward to your post. I must admit that living here in the UK whenever I travel to Spain it's still a shock to hear some of the expressions they have and use. Same as in Cuba, really. When it comes to flamenco, the word "gitano" (Gypsy) still has a negative connotation despite the fact that Gypsy music and culture has been one of Spain's main exports for decades. Go figure! :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, you know, the Spaniards were curious colonizers and the legacy is clear throughout all Latino culture. I actually had a discussion about the gypsy term,which actually stems from Egyptian and is indeed uses with negative connotations. I was told that Roma was the preferred term by musicians I interviewed in the U.S. but I only heard gypsy in Spain.
HereBeDragons said…
I'm envious. That looks amazing.
Fly Girl said…
Dragon, no need to be envious, I'll take you along! Thanks for visiting again.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons