Montreal Street Art


Montreal overwhelms me. In a good way. For art lovers like me who live for connections with artistic and cultural expressions, Montreal is truly a dreamland. There is absolutely no place you can go in this stylish city where you will not be surrounded by art in some form. Metro stations, sidewalks, buildings, cafes, schools, markets, everywhere you turn, you'll be greeted with visual, musical or performance art. Montreal actually enforces a law that at least 1% of  a building's budget must go to public art. I thought it was just me honing in on every art form but no, Montreal really is covered in art. I find that it's an uplifting feeling to always have art close by. I think that's one of the reason's that Montrealers always seem so good-natured and vibrant. The mural above, was created during Montreal's Mural Fest (There is a fest for everything art-related in Montreal) and drew me in with the vivid colors and trippy designs.


This painting lines a wall by a park and displays Montreal's history.


There's lots of super hero/comic book figures peering out from Montreal buildings. I was told that this guy represents a particular event coming up. Obviously relating to blue hair and bionic back packs.


Music is an art form that Montreal clearly adores, you hear live music everywhere Jazz is a ubiquitous favorite. I was walking back from Old Montreal when I spotted this lovely tribute to Billie Holiday, Miles Davis and John Coltrane.


All metro stops are splashed with art in Montreal. I found myself lingering in the stations, just to take in the art.


I like the mix of colors and patterns on this piece that adorns an alley. The face on the right looks like Ringo Starr to me but I don't think that was intentional. What city do you enjoy for it's art scene?

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
some really great murals, there, for sure!
Fly Girl said…
Tex, most everything is good in Montreal!
Andrew said…
Love the photo series, Rosalind. What a great place, then, for art -- and to photograph it. On the subject of your question, what I like about living in Santiago is that are always lots of exhibitions going on, and many of these are art, and sometimes photography. There are many galleries here, too.
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, thanks! I can tell from your photography that Santiago has a very lively art scene.
SandyCarlson said…
What a great way to be overwhelmed! I love street art and cities for the possibilities they present.

Have you ever seen the Philadelphia murals?
Fly Girl said…
Sandy, I've never been to Philly but I've heard about the great murals. Philly is on my travel list!
Unknown said…
Lovely, but which artists created these pieces?
Fly Girl said…
John, that's a really good and important question! Unlike sculpture, murals are often group projects and the artists names aren't easy to make out. A few of these pieces, like the jazz one, do have the artist's signature, it was just hard for me to decipher! Thanks for dropping by.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons