Doom Over Prague Castle


Prague Castle is one of the most famous landmarks in the Czech Republic. Built in the 9th century, this complex of Gothic and Renaissance architecture stands as the largest ancient castle in the world. I was excited to tour the complex and view all of the artifacts but I was unsettled by the entrance gate to the castle. On either side of the gate, two chilling figures hover with a knife and a club. I'm familiar with how gargoyles were used on castles and buildings to ward off evil spirits but I've never seen such violent figures adorn a castle. It's officially called Giant's Gate and the statues depict giants defeating enemies. I guess the giants are supposed to represent strength but they definitely did not help to create a welcoming vibe as I entered the castle. With a knife poised at the head of all who walk under the gate, it felt more like doom floating over the castle but maybe that's just me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons