Merida's Progreso Beach


The Yucatan is famous for dazzling beaches but the bustling capital city of Merida makes you forget that you're surrounded by coastline. So I was taken aback to glimpse the pearly sands of Progreso Beach just 20 minutes outside of the city center. Old fishing boats decorate the end of the beach and vendors stroll with Mexican candies and fruits.


Palapas line the beach for fresh seafood but I focused on the flawless stretch and gentle waves. The beach was quiet with only a few strolling locals but on weekends, it's a popular spot. I splashed through the Gulf of Mexico and lounged on the sand until I couldn't ignore the prospect of fresh fish any longer.


Yucatan cuisine is one of my favorites so I immediately ordered pescado tikin-xic, a regional fave of fish seasoned with achiote and other herbs and baked in banana leaves. Nothing beats the taste of freshly caught fish with an ocean breeze washing over you. Afterwards, I meandered down the malecon and soaked up the Mexican sun that always seems to shine the brightest on the Yucatan coast.


Comments

Oh, that fish looks sooooo tasty! :-)

Great post.

Greetings from London.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons