My Fave Travel Experiences of 2017


Looking back on the year, 2017 was packed with unforgettable travel experiences that left a permanent mark on me. I'm actually still reflecting and documenting them with articles and posts but here are the standouts. Cuba was literally a dream come true. I've longed to visit the land of some of my most cherished rhythms and traditions but I had no inkling that I'd visit to celebrate the wedding of my friend to a wonderful Cuban man. Nights along the malecon and days in the markets and beaches were perfect but my visit to the Museo Yoruba de Cuba, also called the Orisha Museum, was a once-in-a lifetime experience. I witnessed ritual dances, shown above and saw artifacts and traditions connected with the Santeria religion.




Curacao, with it's gorgeous architecture and landscape, offered up friendly people and a fascinating food scene as well. Little Curacao, with it's pink lighthouse pictured above, was a highlight.


India is famous for it's intense colors, flavors and scenes and my trip to Gujarat did not disappoint. From the temples to the inquisitive locals, I'll never be the same after my India trip.


My love of art and hand-crafted jewelry made Santa Fe a long-time feature on my bucket list. I wasn't quite prepared for the beauty everywhere, from the land to the public art on roofs, doors and gardens.


Returning to my NOLA roots was special on many levels. I traveled with my family and traced my maternal history, visiting the house that my great-grandparents lived in.



Cali, Colombia was a surprise in so many ways, from the quirky cat sculptures to the city wide excitement of the Petronio  Alvarez Afro Colombian Cultural Festival. But the most unexpected treat was meeting Ebony and Nia, on a small Cali Street. Hailing from New Orleans and San Diego, respectively. they came up to me when they saw me take out my camera and realized I was a visitor. Learning about their experiences living in Cali and how they preferred the city's slow pace to the  tumultuous political landscape of the U.S., was the ultimate travel learning experience. What were your 2017 travel highlights?

Comments

Great to see my island making it to your list! :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, You know there is no way that your island would not be on my list. It was truly on my bucket list as long as I can remember and the experience was unforgettable.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons